Rebuilding the top end
 
During October 2010, I tore down the top end of my XR1200 and rebuilt it.  I have posted some key pictures along the way to tell the story...
 
Amongst other things, my XR1200 has been a been a testbed for Zippers' ThunderMax  for the XR1200, their XR575 camshafts, CNC ported heads for the XR1200, a 88" motor upgrade kit (done on a separate crankcase - not mine), and a few other engine enhancements.  Although the bottom end of my engine hasn't been touched and my motor is still 1200cc, Zippers previously did the top end re-build. 

Later though I had a problem that I needed to check on, and it was time for me to get into the engine to go back over things myself.  I took some time during October/November 2010 to pull the top end of the engine apart in my garage.
 
The top end comes off pretty quickly and I was negligent with the camera during disassembly, but I photo logged the re-assembly.  As I put things back together I checked some tolerances and gasket thicknesses, went to a thinner Cometic MLS head gasket, and went back to the original pushrod tubes with custom length pushrods.  Also, I just generally re-torqued everything to my satisfaction and made the engine look just like any other stock motor - at least on the outside. 



The links below show a photo sequence of the inside of the top end of the XR1200...